Sunday 7 June 2009

Guest Post: Writing Worries, by Michael Malone

This blog post of Michael Malone's catches a good few of my writing worries, so with his permission I'm quoting part of it here. You might also want to take a look at this other blog post of his, which discusses his friendship with Margaret Thomson Davis, a delightful and persistent writer.


70,000 words down on the current work in progress and I’m in the home strait. So I will be concentrating on that for a few days. In fact I need to have a rest from this blogging malarkey. I really enjoy the chance to be a bit irreverent, but it diznae pay the mortgage.This novel is based on fact and set on a prison colony during the middle of the last century. It’s a story of a young man who was sent to the worst prison on the planet. His crime? Being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If I tell you any more, I’ll have to kill you. With a sharpened teaspoon. While you’re sleeping. You’ll just have to lie very still so I can get some purchase on your jugular. So maybe I’ll tie you up first. With barbed wire. So I might need to waken you up first. And I’ve just taken this too far, haven’t I?

So, thank you for reading my blogging efforts so far and for those who can be arsed commenting, thank you for your comments – I love receiving them, makes me feel less like I’m indulging in a literary form of masturbation. Writing is like sex, much better when there is more than one person involved. To those who don’t leave a message, this is me with my tongue sticking out blowing a raspberry.


Michael Malone's poetry is published by Makar Press. Performance number sixty one was completed last weekend, and he's and currently working on novel number five. Novels three and four (crime) are with an agent and are currently amassing an impressive number of rave rejections from an impressive group of publishers.

No comments: